Saturday 24 October 2009

22 days post op

OK so I'm a little late getting started with a post operative recovery blog but its not normally something I would do. Who on earth would be interested?
But after reading some of the other fai blogs I thought how much I would be able to record my progress. Even if just for my own benefit, in the future I will be able to reflect on what things I did right and worked, and what things didn't. In addition there seems to be a great deal of comfort that I get from reading what experiences other people are going through as I go through it myself.
Best case scenario: If I can keep progressing the way I want to and complete my goal of running the Connemarra Marathon in Ireland on April 11th 2010, I hope that will help to inspire and motivate those who are in my current situation just after the op.

I had my surgery on 2nd October 2009 at The Yorkshire Clinic in Bingley. My consultant is Prof Ernest Schilders who of the Northern Hip and Groin Institute. I was really lucky that my physio knew of him as he is one of the more experienced Doctors in the UK with hip artroscopies, furthermore he is lovely and I feel in excellent hands.

I must say that reading other people's experiences my pre-diagnosis pain was nowhere near as bad. I have been able to train and compete in Olympic and Half Ironman Distance Triathlon events and my symptoms were a nagging groin ache and a feeling of not being able to control my right leg as well as I wanted.

I entered the Connemmara Marathon 2010 some time before my diagnosis and it is on my path to completing my first Ironman distance event which I have earmarked as Lanzarote (2011 or even 2012)

When I went to meet Prof Schilders and get my arthrogram results I was expecting him to say that there was nothing to be found and to send me on my way. It was a surprise when he said that I had a labral tear and a paralabral cyst in the right hip joint. Although x-rays had not shown any CAM deformity, it was evident that this was the cause of the tear during surgery.
He asked me when I would like to do the surgery and I said "hmmm, well I'd still like to do the marathon in April so asap please" He chuckled (I took this as a good sign, that this might still be possible) and I got 6th Nov as my surgery date. The following Monday his secretary called my and said that he could do it on that coming Friday (2nd Oct) So just like that in a whirlwind of cancelling weeks and weeks of people's appointments who were booked in with me, here I am.

2 comments:

  1. Clare,
    Wow...what a whirlwind journey! I too am a triathlete and had my first of two FAI surgeries 9/3/09. Your goal to run a marathon 6 months post op is quite adventurous. Good for you. I will keep tabs on your progress!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Noell, fingers crossed! Look forward to reading more of your recovery too.

    ReplyDelete