Sunday 28 February 2010

6 weeks til marathon day

My plan to keep this recovery well blogged has not been good. I'm coming up to 5months post op now.
Fortunately that is largely to do with being able to train well and because I've been really really busy at work - and the best bit - coping with it.

Prior to surgery my groin, SIJ, back etc etc would get so tired and I would be very limited to how much work I could do. Now I can do much more and suffer much less afterwards.

Training is going well. Slight shin splint niggle on the right (operated) side - because my function isn't perfect yet on that side. Hoping I can get through a 2 hour run today OK. I've already run 3hours last week and will go for 3.5hrs next Sunday. Following that I will do an easy 10 and then a final long run of 20-22miles (4hours ish) the week after. Then 2 taper weekends until the big day - April 11th.

Fitness wise I'm doing great. The hip is good and I just need to get on top of this shin to progress and hit my target.

I always struggled before to rise up onto the ball of my foot as my hip/hamstring etc would not allow it - now I can do it but my calves (both of them) are relatively weak. I'm strong mostly in my legs although my right hammy and glute are both weaker due to the poor ROM pre-op.

My training partner has not had such a good time and has got a knee injury which has forced her to stop running and pull out of the marathon. However there is a half marathon on the same day and she will be able to transfer to that provided she can recover in time.

1 comment:

  1. Claire,how can someone like you have week glutes? You train so hard they must be strong, what hope for someone like me??!

    ReplyDelete